J.D. Allen – Randall High School (Amarillo, TX)

Northern Texas has provided UND with its latest addition to the 2012 recruiting class in 6′-1″ 195 pound linebacker and tackling machine, J.D. Allen.  Allen hails from Amarillo and played for Canyon Randall High School, who finished the season 11-2 after winning 2 games in the 2011 Texas 4A Division II High School Playoffs.

Allen recorded 181 tackles during his junior campaign and followed it up with another 150 tackles in his senior season.  As a result, he is the 2-time District 3-4A Defensive MVP and also was named the 2011 Amarillo Globe-News Defensive Player of the Year.

Allen is an athletic, high-energy, sideline-to-sideline inside linebacker with good speed for the Randall 3-4 defense on the football field.   Off the field as a junior, he was also a member of the 1600-meter relay team that went to the state track meet.

We project Allen to play in college where he was most comfortable at in high school -  inside linebacker for UND’s 3-4 defense.  UND cornerbacks coach Benny Boyd is who we believe recruits the state of Texas and ultimately uncovered and landed Allen.

Allen is the 29th overall addition to the 2012 class and the 7th linebacker, joining Taj Rich, Brian Labat, Brandon Larson, Jared Tuilagi, Joe Schobert and Derrick Goard (JUCO).

Hudl Highlights

Photo courtesy of Amarillo.com

Articles:

13 Responses to J.D. Allen – Randall High School (Amarillo, TX)

1. MoSiouxFan says:

I like what I see and read about this guy. After a year of red-shirting, I think he’s going to be probably 15-20 lbs. heavier and good to go. I see he plays special teams, too. Another Dan Hendrickson in the making?

• Actually a precent decent physical comparison coming out of high school. Hendrickson was pretty wiry and athletic too and about the same size I believe.

Probably unrealistic though at this point to think he will end up being as good as Dan Hendrickson on defense or special teams. We can all hope for that, but it is a lofty goal to say the least. Hendrickson was a great player that will be sorely missed on the field this season.

But I hope JD ends up being a player that we can talk about in the same light after it’s all said and done.

2. UNDColorado says:

Any chance of Hendrickson playing pro ball anywhere?

Fritz might have a better opinion than me on this one but I would have to think its a long shot. He has good speed but would be a bit undersized for the NFL. We will definitely check on it though and see if he is continuing to work out for any opportunities.

• In my opinion, Hendrickson could play some level of pro football if he wants to pursue it – there is no question about that. It just depends on the level of play. I think it’s safe to say that him playing in the NFL probably isn’t likely, but there are Arena League, overseas and maybe even CFL options he definitely could pursue.

Some players are ready to be done with football after college and move on with pursuing job opportunities in relation to their schooling, rather than bounce around in low-paying pro leagues. I haven’t heard if he or anyone else from the senior class are pursuing pro football options.

3. geaux sioux says:

Hawkins worked out for the Vikings GM after doing a pro day workout in Minnesota

4. geaux sioux says:

any idea what Mussman’s tweet was about?

For him to tweet about something with that much enthusiasm, it must be big. Bigger than jerseys or anything material. IPF maybe?

• I’m going to guess it is facility-related. I’m thinking locker room renovation at Memorial Stadium that will be re-locatable to the IPF when needed.

I’ve also heard that new uniforms are imminent.

I would hope to see an announcement on all this within the next day or two. Hopefully the IPF isn’t too far behind it.

5. MoSiouxFan says:

I’m speculating that it’s more than new uniforms or even a locker room renovation to prompt Coach M. to call it “a big day for UND football.” I’m betting on the IPF, but not too heavily.

Based on what Fritzy thinks, I am thinking there is some steam behind a Memorial stadium renovation project. That would be a significant announcement IMO. To renovate a locker room/meeting rooms is nothing to sneeze at. UND needs it done in the worst way and it won’t be a cheap project.